North Carolina Financial Publications
Created by Kurt Brenneman
Years covered by this guide: 1876-present
As explained at NC OpenBook, state government creates a budget, collects revenue from many sources, and spends money on projects and services. The publications below open the book on the management of these monies and, by doing so, "help create a better, more efficient state government that works for the people of North Carolina," according to NC OpenBook.
Five North Carolina state agencies perform the budget and financial management functions of state government:
Source: Program Evaluation Division, North Carolina General Assembly.
These agencies produce the publications that, together, ensure the transparency of the state's finances. Remember that the state's fiscal year starts July 1 and ends the following June 30, so that all financial reporting is for that period. A separate guide to North Carolina state budget publications is here. This study guide is designed to describe publications in our collections related to North Carolina's finances, and, where appropriate, give links to digital versions of the publications that can be printed or saved.
- Statistical Abstract of North Carolina Taxes.
The North Carolina Department of Revenue administers the state tax laws and collects taxes due to the state in an impartial, uniform, and efficient manner. The Department also accounts for the state's tax funds. The Statistical Abstract provides statistics concerning taxes imposed under the Revenue Laws of North Carolina. It gives legislators, tax professionals, researchers, and other interested citizens of North Carolina information about the amount of taxes collected, classifications of taxpayers, and the geographic distribution of taxes. The Statistical Abstract includes both historical series of data and detailed reports for the most recent fiscal or tax year available.
- Categories: Taxation--North Carolina--Statistics-Periodicals.
- Paper availability: 2005-present
- Digital availability: 2004-present
- Alternate Names: none
- North Carolina Biennial Tax Expenditure Report.
Tax expenditures are created to give economic assistance to certain groups of producers or consumers in the economy or to promote other policy goals. In compliance with requirements of the General Statutes of North Carolina, the Department annually prepares this report of tax expenditures contained in the Revenue Laws of North Carolina. This listing of expenditures and measurements of their costs will allow legislative review of their impact on the state's economy and on government revenues.
- Categories: Tax expenditures--North Carolina-Periodicals, Tax expenditures--Law and legislation--North Carolina-Periodicals, Tax exemption--Law and legislation--North Carolina--Periodicals.
- Paper availability: 1976-present
- Digital availability: 2005-present
- Alternate Names: North Carolina Tax Expenditure Report; Biennial Tax Expenditure Report
- The State Treasurer's Annual Report to the People of North Carolina.
The North Carolina Department of State Treasurer is the state's banker and custodian of public monies. The Department has broad authority over the finances of the state. Its key responsibilities are management of the state's Pension Fund, the Teacher & State Employee and Local Government pension plans, the State Bank, the state's 401(k)/457 plans, and the State Disability Program. It also manages state and local debt issuance, oversees local government finance, and acts as fiscal advisor to the state. This annual report reviews the year's activities of the State Treasurer.
- Categories: Finance, Public--North Carolina--Periodicals.
- Paper availability: 1876-presenT
- Digital availability: 2003-present
- Alternate Names: Biennial Report of the State Treasurer to the Governor of North Carolina; Biennial Report of the Public Treasurer of North Carolina; Biennial Report of the Treasurer of North Carolina; Annual Report of the Treasurer of North Carolina; Report of the Treasurer of North Carolina; Biennial Report, Treasurer, State of North Carolina; Report of N.C. State Treasurer; North Carolina Department of State Treasurer Annual Report; The State Treasurer's Annual Report
- State of North Carolina General Fund Monthly Financial Report.
The North Carolina Office of the State Controller is the state's chief financial officer and manages the North Carolina Accounting System. The Office's mission is to provide essential fiscal services to support North Carolina's state government. It functions to assist state agencies in complying with state and federal fiscal laws, rules, regulations, and generally accepted accounting principles. The Report presents revenues, receipts, appropriated expenditures, and disbursements on a cash basis in the month when cash is received or cash is disbursed. The Cash Management Control System operated by the Office is the source for the amounts presented in this report.
- Categories: Finance--North Carolina-Periodicals, Finance, Public--North Carolina-Periodicals, North Carolina--Appropriations and expenditures.
- Paper availability: digital-only
- Digital availability: 2010-present
- Alternate Names: General Fund Monthly Financial Report
- North Carolina Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
Just like public companies file an annual report to make their finances transparent to their employees, shareholders, regulators, and the public, the North Carolina Office of the State Controller publishes an annual report with all information necessary for anyone to gain an understanding of the State's financial activities during the previous fiscal year.
- Categories: Financial statements--North Carolina, Finance, Public--North Carolina--Accounting-Statistics, North Carolina--Finance--Accounting-Statistics.
- Paper availability: 1986-present
- Digital availability: 1997-present
- Alternate Names: A Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
- North Carolina Financial Highlights.
This popular report is intended to summarize basic financial information about the state. This information is supported in more detail in the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report above. The Financial Highlights provides information at the governmentwide level in addition to the major fund level. Coverage of legally separate, but related, organizations is limited to universities and community colleges and is at a high level. North Carolina Financial Highlights is the product of a coordinated effort on the part of state and local governments to issue simplified financial reports that make transparent information about the state's financial condition. This popular report is a report for the people.
- Categories: Finance, Public--North Carolina, Budget--North Carolina, North Carolina--Appropriations and expenditures.
- Paper availability: 1998-present
- Digital availability: 1998-present
- Alternate Names:
- Single Audit Report.
The North Carolina Office of the State Auditor produces many publications that increase financial transparency. The Office audits the financial affairs of all state agencies, and can perform special audits and investigations requested by the Governor or the General Assembly. The results of these audits are published in reports that can be retrieved, viewed, and/or printed easily at the Office's website. In compliance with state law an annual financial audit of the state financial reporting entity is completed each year by the Office. The State Auditor's examination is conducted in accordance with auditing standards generally accepted.
- Categories: North Carolina--Auditing-Periodicals, Auditors' reports--North Carolina-Periodicals, Finance, Public--Auditing--North Carolina-Periodicals, Grants-in-aid--North Carolina-Auditing, Administrative agencies--North Carolina, North Carolina--Appropriations and expenditures--Periodicals.
- Paper availability: 1986-present
- Digital availability: 2001-2002
- Alternate Names: State of North Carolina Single Audit Report